Tuesday, December 13, 2005

From the Shadows

This is another classic album that I feel everyone should have, I've burned it, then owned it, then lost it, and on and on. "Endtroducing" really opened a door for me, showing me the possibilities of turntablism and the evolution of Hip-hop. In a time when Biggie and Tupac were the respective kings of Hip-hop, Shadow was making these crazy dark and atmospheric beats, so far from the main stream. His obsession with drums and rhythm, pushed his sound far past the standard break-beat, a lot of what we now think of as underground rap owes a lot to this guy. There is a special edition 2 cd re-release, that I recommend everyone check out.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing



This is a killer mixtape, combining old school hip-hop, crazy gangsta jeep beats and of course a little funk and soul, great party and driving mix. When I first heard it I thought, "there is no way this is Shadow, it's whack gangsta shit." But oh no, was I ever wrong, definately enjoy this.
Strictly a funky, groovy mix here, pure Shadow with another brilliant DJ, Cut Chemist. I saw Cut Chemist in Montreal with Peanut Butter Wolf, I was lurking around the sound board with a toque pulled right down, and sporting a chin beard. Some kid came up to me called me DJ Shadow, and told me he loved my shit, I had to agree with him - I love this man's shit.

10 Comments:

Blogger FrankSteel said...

Great post. Love Funky Skunk, where have you been hiding that album?

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I'm trying to get a hold of you mofos but I can't see any email addy. Hook it up! I got contributions for miles and I'm in your home city.

SP!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Sumomofo said...

alright anon, I threw up my email in my profile, fire away! I'm looking forward to what youve got.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Lord Blak said...

Thanks bro for the DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Keep up the great Posts

Peace

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Lord Blak said...

btw...Endtroducing only has Disc 1 in the download..

7:05 PM  
Blogger Sumomofo said...

Hey Blak, unfortunately Ive only got the old Endtroducing, a single disc, the rerelease is worth checking out though, if you find it let me know

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Lord Blak said...

aiight my friend , I love the single disc.. jus checkin' btw at my site (BitTorex) I started posting direct downloads..help yourself.

Peace
Blak

2:26 PM  
Blogger pedigree said...

Thanks for the Funky Skunk, the other two are already in my collection, ofcourse!

1:51 PM  
Blogger the scarlet pimpernel said...

Funky Skunk...nice, very nice! Never heard of it, I'm curious. Shadow is one of my favourite dj's. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!
Grtz
TheScaPi(st)

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Eliot said...

Best album of all time, without a doubt.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home